I’ve purchased and tested 7 smartwatches and fitness trackers at this point (in no particular order):
- Samsung Gear Fit 2
- Fitbit Charge 2
- Fitbit Flex 2
- Fitbit Blaze
- Samsung Gear S3
- Asus Zenwatch 3
- Pebble 2 (Don’t buy this one!)
I will be purchasing and testing about 2 or 3 more every month for all of 2017. I will update this post as data and testing comes in.
1 stands above the rest by leaps and bounds — The Samsung Gear S3 has all the features I want from all the other smartwatches and fitness trackers and more. The Gear S3 is, so far, the best smartwatch in 2017. That may change — especially if the Gear S4 comes out this year! So, I will change this post if another watch beats it out.
Below is an incomplete list of several reasons why the Gear S3 crushes the competition:
- Excellent battery life @ 3-4 days.
- IP 68 resistance ==> waterproof beyond 1 meter. This is better than all smartwatches I tested other than the very poorly made Pebble 2
- Unique rotating bezel makes it smoother, faster, and easier to use than all the rest. This might be the best feature.
- Talk on the phone through my watch. No other smartwatch that I tested can do this. And it works well.
- It has all the same fitness features in any other device — step tracking, heart rate monitor (a bit weak, however), sleep tracking, workout tracking, food/water tracking
- Respond to texts via voice to text. Other smartwatches can do this, but the Gear S3 works the best and smoothest.
- This is the only watch that makes calls in a reasonably practical way
- It works with Android and iPhone (stoopid Apple Watches)
- …and more
So, if you’re in the market for a high quality smartwatch, then get the Gear S3 and don’t look back!
Some videos to give you more information: